Wednesday, December 13, 2017

American Born Chinese- A commentary

It was interesting to read this book again and to have such nostalgic feelings come back to me again. I don't know if  used the word nostalgic right, if it has to be tied to good things because it was a familiar feeling of annoyance. I liked it, but I reacted probably exactly how the writer probably wanted me to react? (I hope that's the case...)

I am American born Korean, so I share a lot (A LOT) of similarities with Jin. My initial reaction to the bullying of arranged marriage and whatnot was actually pretty ignorant back in the day. But now it's sort of like.. the fact that I can relate with a comic book that clearly states something stereotypical is a problem. ( Note when I say back when I was ignorant it was in middle school when I first read this book) That's not even the best part.

When the nearing end chapters introduce a character named "Chyn-kee"( Aha chinky.. clever..) I understood that he was meant to be a stereotype for the lessons to come, but I was still very uneasy. He was basically all the things that were labeled unto me growing up (Except.. peeing in a can that's just strange).

(Wait a second...) Okay so I understand this is basically a mirrored self of the author, an American born Chinese man, but I don't know how I feel about basically all of the second half of the book. I feel like the moral of the story was strong enough to put in elements of stereotyping and the monkey king. Honestly it just made me more confused. I understand that this comic isn't supposed to be 100% realistic, but it was just too out there for me. It was a good ending and this book has received a lot of awards, but personally I'm not a fan.

Now my opinion on stereotyping on media. Just don't do it. Most stereotypical things I see is connected to negative connotation. It should never be a representation for a race because it's almost always used for exoticism, fetishizing, or even for cheap laughs that aren't even that funny.

Because of not having a voice or an opinion on such matters of stereotyping as a child this has affected me heavily. I loved my culture, but bringing in a lunch that doesn't look like my friend's lunch would automatically be connected to me being a dog eater. Unlike Jin I actually had a lot of asian students at my school, but since we were only kids bullying was so apparent for those who were different. I remember vividly of having to "act white" around 6th grade because I was just so tired of being myself at school if I was just going to be insulted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment