Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Silver Surfer (Moebius) - A commentary


Before learning about European comics in class I knew nothing or seen nothing about Moebius, but seeing all that he has influenced through his work I see him almost everywhere. Especially the film industry. It's cool that he is inspired by American comics and in return many famous Hollywood film makers are influenced by his works. He truly was a master at world building especially around the sci fi genre. 

That being said I wish I had the time to read his more successful comics like "The Fifth Element" and the "Empire Strikes Back". Instead I read the "Silver Surfer" since in my childhood I really loved the Fantastic Four movie that featured the Silver Surfer. Looking at some surface reviews it held some promise as it was given kudos for reimagining the Silver Surfer, but boy did I regret reading it. The art and composition was beautiful, I wouldn't have changed a thing. The biggest turn off for me was sadly the story itself. The world/universe he had built around this character was inconsistent and very boring (Like the story) and felt slow even during the action scenes. 

Overall it was an A for effort sort of comic. It tried it's best to show it's appreciation to western classic sci-fi and sort of intermix an autobiographical genre,  this Silver Surfer falls short to the Silver Surfer that Stan Lee had created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment