Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Comics by Women! (Heck yeah!) - A commentary

During class we discussed different comics by women. While I did enjoy discussing paper dolls and how they were still popular during my time we also discussed the harsh reality of most women having that same cute style to get a job in the comic industry way back when. I'm proud to say that now we don't have to worry about such things. 

Charlotte Gomez is a general illustrator for Buzzfeed. I've followed her work for a decent amount of time never really realizing that some comics that she makes is something only a woman can understand. Whether it's a struggle we can all laugh about or just painful truth her comics don't follow any sort of "cute" look a company way back when would look for. Most of the time the comic would just be a self insert of herself. Her awkward, asian self. There are even some comics she would post rarely talking about topics that are hard to talk through words, like anxiety or depression. Being a women making comics on such topics creates a bridge between the female viewer and the creator and finding common ground between all of us. 

Another comic book that we were required to check out was "This One Summer" by the Tamaki cousins. I wasn't able to finish the whole thing because of it's very steady flowing narrative, but from what I have read it's a very charming comic that tackles topics in a delicate matter. Growing up and growing apart was something I felt like tween me might've been able to. But because of some pages being slightly explicit I wonder if I was allowed to read something like this in my teen years. With the peaceful progress of summer I get a very melancholic feel once an obstacle is brought up. I feel like the artists choice of using blue hues was smart because I feel a sort of peaceful ambiance while still being able to imagine each page in full color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment